Help get the word out about redistricting reform by submitting a letter or op-ed to your local newspaper.
Every piece of media coverage helps new people hear about Fair Districts PA. You can help by contributing your voice to your community’s publications.
- Letter to the editor: Short, often in response to a recent article in the publication.
- Op-ed or guest column: A little longer, expressing an opinion or viewpoint on a timely topic.
Tips for an effective letter or op-ed
You’ll be most likely to get published if your letter is:
Brief: Stay within the word limit and follow all submission guidelines. Most letters are about 200 words, and op-eds are about 600 to 800 words.
Timely: Start by connecting the issue with current events.
Personal: Share a story about how the issue affects you and those around you.
Focused: Choose one central idea and stick to it.
Clear: Use simple language and sentences, and avoid jargon. Clearly explain ideas and persuade readers—don’t show off vocabulary.
Readable: Use short paragraphs (2-4 sentences). This makes the text easier to read, whether it’s in newsprint or on a phone screen.
Unifying: Think about the views of people who might disagree with you. Look for and highlight common ground.
Persuasive: Make it clear why the reader should care about the issue, and provide evidence. Consider potential counterarguments, and briefly acknowledge and refute them.
Actionable: End your letter with a call to action: “Learn more at www.fairdistrictspa.com” or “Write your state legislator to support this bill.”
Diana Dakey, Scranton Times-Tribune, April 21, 2016
“Make your vote count”
Norma Van Dyke, Philadelphia Inquirer, April 21, 2016
“Why were there so few voters in Pennsylvania’s primary?”
Kenneth Myers, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, May 9, 2016
Below is a list of major Pennsylvania newspapers and how to submit a letter or op-ed.
Beaver County Times
- Email a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerset Daily American
- Email a letter to email@example.com
State College Centre Daily Times
Sunbury Daily Item
Williamsport Sun Gazette
- Submit a letter online
- Submitted letters may also be shared to Lock Haven Express, Altoona Mirror, and Lewistown Sentinel
York Daily Record
Allentown Morning Call
Delaware County Daily Times
- Email a letter or op-ed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email a letter or op-ed to email@example.com
- 250-word limit for letters
- 500- to 600-word limit for op-eds
- Submission guidelines
- Email a letter or op-ed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 150 word limit for letters
- 500- to 800-word limit for op-eds
Email a letter to email@example.com
Stroudsburg Pocono Record
Wilkes-Barre Citizens’ Voice
- Email a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 150-word limit