Help get the word out about redistricting reform by submitting a letter or op-ed to your local newspaper.
Every piece of media coverage helps new people hear about Fair Districts PA. You can help by contributing your voice to your community’s publications.
- Letter to the editor: Short, often in response to a recent article in the publication.
- Op-ed or guest column: A little longer, expressing an opinion or viewpoint on a timely topic.
Tips for an effective letter or op-ed
You’ll be most likely to get published if your letter is:
Brief: Stay within the word limit and follow all submission guidelines. Most letters are about 200 words, and op-eds are about 600 to 800 words.
Timely: Start by connecting the issue with current events.
Personal: Share a story about how the issue affects you and those around you.
Focused: Choose one central idea and stick to it.
Clear: Use simple language and sentences, and avoid jargon. Clearly explain ideas and persuade readers—don’t show off vocabulary.
Readable: Use short paragraphs (2-4 sentences). This makes the text easier to read, whether it’s in newsprint or on a phone screen.
Unifying: Think about the views of people who might disagree with you. Look for and highlight common ground.
Persuasive: Make it clear why the reader should care about the issue, and provide evidence. Consider potential counterarguments, and briefly acknowledge and refute them.
Actionable: End your letter with a call to action: “Learn more at www.fairdistrictspa.com” or “Write your state legislator to support this bill.”
“Gerrymandering devalues votes; that should concern us all”
Kitsy McNulty, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, October 4, 2017
“We can all agree on redistricting reform”
Jessica M. Forsell, Bucks County Courier Times, January 12, 2018
“Bills offer solution to gerrymandering”
Anthony Crocamo, LNP, February 19, 2018
“Tell PA Lawmakers to act on redistricting bills”
Elke Rockwell, Lehigh Valley Live, January 23, 2018
Below is a list of major Pennsylvania newspapers and how to submit a letter or op-ed.
Beaver County Times
- Email a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerset Daily American
State College Centre Daily Times
Sunbury Daily Item
Williamsport Sun Gazette
- Submit a letter online
- Submitted letters may also be shared to Lock Haven Express, Altoona Mirror, and Lewistown Sentinel
York Daily Record
Allentown Morning Call
Delaware County Daily Times
- Email a letter or op-ed to email@example.com
- Email a letter or op-ed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 250-word limit for letters
- 500- to 600-word limit for op-eds
- Submission guidelines
- Email a letter or op-ed to email@example.com
- 150 word limit for letters
- 500- to 800-word limit for op-eds
Email a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stroudsburg Pocono Record
Wilkes-Barre Citizens’ Voice
- Email a letter to email@example.com
- 150-word limit